Monday, May 24, 2010

Day 2- Short update

This morning I woke up and took my first shower in more days than I should probably admit. We ate a light breakfast at the house and headed to the office around 9ish. Jessica gave us a brief overview of some office work and house rules. We are waiting for our last two interns, Lydia and Lauren, to arrive before really getting into separating out tasks and setting more specific goals for PLC work. Can't wait to see them tomorrow!

I did figure out for sure that I will get to teach some English here- more to come on this when I have details.

After leaving the office and grabbing a bite to eat, we headed back to the house for a little siesta followed by "Interlocution" possibly soon to be renamed "Fireside Chat." This basically consists of a casual discussion on different specific topics. I'm really looking forward to having these very often!

These last few hours we have spent sitting and talking with an amazing man who hand-makes the Klash that PLC sells to fund life-saving heart surgeries in Iraq. It was a great experience to hear about politics affecting Kurdistan and Iraq from an Iraqi Kurd rather than some talking head on an american news show. Especially a 40 year old Iraqi Kurd who has lived through and experienced Iraq from post-british/nationalized petroleum/relatively safe to the Iraq-Iran war to the gassing of Kurds to the Gulf War to the US invasion and everything beyond/in-between.

It's about 11 here and I'm falling asleep in this chair, so I am going to call it a night. I promise updates will be coming with more pictures/stories/thoughts and not just a rehash of what I did all day. We have been very busy getting settled in and learning and adjusting, so I promise as we get used to life here my posts will have more content. Thanks for reading!



Xua hafîz.

Alex


No comments:

Post a Comment